Tuesday, November 23, 2010

I miss my Grandma

Yep, I said it .. I miss my Grandma. She's been gone for over 10 years now, but I miss her a lot. Not a day goes by that I don't think about her. I have so many good memories of her. I would give anything to go back to that time when life was so much simpler. We didn't have cell phones or internet or HDTV, but I had the time of my life. Here are some of my favorite memories of my grandma..

  • When I was about 6 or 7 years old, I was out in the yard helping my grandma plant flowers. I started digging a hole for a flower and just kept digging and digging to see how big of a hole I could dig. My grandma turned to me and said "are you trying to dig a hole to China?" I laughed so hard like it was the funniest thought ever and attempted to truly dig a hole to China. I really thought I could.
  • I have this one fleeting memory of going out to eat with my grandparents in Wauseon one afternoon and on the way there, I remember looking out the window at the countryside and thinking about how much I loved going for drives in the afternoons and just looking at all the farms and wishing that day/moment would never end. I remember we were on our way to visit my great aunt in the nursing home. It was a weekday and I was probably about 10 years old.
  • When I was little, my grandma would sometimes babysit me while my mom went to child study club meetings. I remember one particular evening that my grandma babysat me that my mom did not get back to pick me up until almost 11:30 at night. My grandma stayed awake the whole time with me playing games because I did not want to go to bed.
  • I remember another occasion that my grandma babysat me that I ended up staying the night at her house. I was sick with a cold or flu of some kind and my grandma gave me Vicks to put on. I remember feeling better instantly and to this day, I think that Vicks cures everything and sometimes I put it on just for the memories :) lol
  • I think her favorite color was peach, because I remember how her Christmas tree was always decorated with peach ornaments.
  • I remember sitting on her front porch with my cousins drinking Faygo red pop.
  • Going to Florida in the winter to visit my grandparents was always the best. I remember laying in bed in a couch that pulled out into a bed and pretending to read smut books while sticking m&ms in my teeth.
  • I remember my grandma scaring me one night by pointing at me :)
  • My grandma made the best fried bologna known to human kind. I remember thinking she was the world's best cook when she made fried bologna on toast. (She was the worlds greatest cook by the way, unless she was making roast beef).
  • I remember going for walks with my grandma in the summer time. I remember going with her to pick these wildflowers one afternoon. They were white wildflowers. We brought them back to her house and filled 4 vases with water mixed with different colors of food coloring (green, blue, yellow, and red). We put the flowers in the water / food coloring mixture and watched the flowers turn color.
  • I remember one day I found a robin's egg in the yard at my grandma's house and she let me bring it in and we put it in a tiny box with cotton balls and hoped it would hatch into a real bird.
  • One day my family was helping to scrape the old paint off my grandparents' house and prepare it to get repainted. I took one of the scrapers and used the edge of it to scrape my initials into the siding. The more I thought about it, the more scared I got, because I was afraid my initials wouldn't come out of the siding. I started crying and confessed to my grandma who told me that it was just fine to have my initials in the side of the house. I wonder if they are still there.. :)
  • I remember running laps around my grandma's driveway, because I thought it was the same size as the track uptown that the high schoolers ran on.
  • I remember playing tripoly with my grandma and all sorts of other card games.
  • I remember my grandma liked to watch Wheel of Fortune and do crossword puzzles.
  • I remember the last time my grandma told me that she loved me.
I can't wait to see her again. I think about her every day and all the memories we shared. I can't wait to see her again. She was a very special person and she is very missed.

I love you Grandma.

No comments:

Post a Comment