Friday, November 5, 2010

Double bacon cheeseburgers

I haven't done the greatest with my exercise this week, but I have been making an attempt to eat better. My only workouts since Sunday's run have been my cardio class on Monday and Wednesday nights and a 10 mile bike ride on the recumbant bike tonight. It's just too cold and dark for me to get outside and run on weeknights after work. I really can't wait to go pick up my treadmill. The recumbant bike doesn't even feel like a workout compared to running.

I think I'm doing a tiny bit better with the choices I'm making food-wise. I'm eating a bigger breakfast now. Although it doesn't feel like it's keeping me from eating so much at lunch, I at least don't feel like I'm starving every morning at 10:30am. I really need to find a good, healthy, quick to throw together breakfast food to take to work in the mornings though. I need something that I can get put together fairly quickly on my way out the door that I can wait and eat at about 8:10 am when I am actually hungry. This week, it's been peanut butter sandwiches with all natural peanut butter and whole wheat low-calorie bread. Not the tastiest in my opinion, but very filling.

My latest creation that I feel is a recipe worth sharing is a healthy version of a double cheeseburger. These ingredients were all purchased at the grocery store uptown. I made it in the George Foreman grill, but I suppose they could be made in any type of grill as long as you press down to drain all the fat out of the meat. I wouldn't recommend making them in a skillet.

Double Bacon Cheeseburgers

Ingredients:
Jennie-O Turkey Burgers (from the frozen foods section in the side isle by the meat at Kaiser's) - 2 burgers (they come in packs of two)
Aunt Millie's whole grain low calorie bread (they just started carrying this - I love it) - 2 slices
Pepper Jack cheese from the deli dept (2 slices)
Oscar Mayer fully cooked thick sliced bacon - 4 slices (it's healthier and lower calorie than regular bacon)
lettuce
onion

Directions:
Thaw burgers in the refrigerator the night before. Heat George Foreman grill to 400 degrees. Salt and Pepper burgers (and any other seasoning you want to put on them) and put on grill. Close grill and cook for 7 minutes. Fold up one slice of pepper jack cheese and put on top of one burger, then put the other burger on top of the cheese. Close grill and cook for another 3 minutes. In the meantime, toast bread, microwave bacon for 45 seconds, and chop onion. Put remaining slice of pepper jack cheese on top of burger and let it melt. Put the 2 burgers on the toast, top with bacon, then onion, then lettuce, then final slice of toast. What you have is an amazing double bacon cheese burger that will make you feel like you are on the show Man Vs. Food when you eat it. It was soo good. You could use sharp cheddar cheese instead of pepper jack. I will never recommend velveeta or American cheese for anything in my entire life. So don't use either :)

No comments:

Post a Comment