Sunday, October 31, 2010

Awesome tacos

I have successfully ran a total of 10 miles over the course of this weekend. I think that's pretty good for someone like me who is basically just getting started. I ran 3 miles Friday, 3 yesterday, and a little over 4 today. I'm feeling pretty good about it. I might not be getting super skinny and losing tons of weight, but that's not my goal. My overall goal is to just get healthier...ok, and go out and win some races in the next year. I'm not very fast right now, but the fact that I ran so far today without any knee pain is an accomplishment in itself.

My other goal, in addition to maintaining this work out / running schedule, is to start eating a little healthier. However, I refuse to give up some of my favorite foods. I will eat unhealthy things in moderation, but for the most part, I want to make better choices. This can be difficult at times, based on the limited selection of foods that we have up at our grocery store here in town. But...I'm trying to save money by not driving to Walmart and spending $100s every trip. Plus I really do want to support a local business and I'm a little scared that the new Dollar General (awesome as it is) might put our grocery store in a world of hurt. That being said, I made a delicious and healthy supper entirely with ingredients that I purchased at the grocery store here in town. There is no excuse for not making this meal...and it tasted great.

Heart Healthy Tacos

Ingredients:
2 packages ground turkey (I bought the Festive brand in the side freezer section, it comes in 1lb. packs)
2 packages of taco seasoning mix (whatever kind you prefer)
1/2 an onion chopped
1 small tomato chopped
lettuce chopped (as much as you want)
3 jalapenos (sliced) - If you don't like spicy food, you can substitute green pepper
1/4 cup Crystal Farms shredded Mexican cheese (this is not healthy, so use sparingly)
Chi Chis hot salsa (as much as you want) - you can use any salsa, but the chi chis hot salsa is amazing
Chi Chis whole wheat tortillas (how ever many you need to eat to get full - I ate 2)

Directions:
Brown the turkey (it takes longer than hamburger) and drain off all the fat. Add the taco seasoning mix with the appropriate amount of water (it will be on the label) and let the mixture come to a boil. Let the mixture simmer for 2x as long as the package says, because it takes longer for the ground turkey to absorb the seasoning flavor. Heat up tortillas in microwave on high for 45 seconds. Put cheese in first, then add taco meat, then add veggies, then salsa on top.

This will be very messy to eat, but so so so so so so so so so so good and filling. I promise you that the ground turkey will taste just like ground beef tacos. I was amazed. If you make this recipe like I did, you will have leftovers for another couple of meals (if cooked for 1 person anyway).

No comments:

Post a Comment