Wednesday, October 13, 2010

who cares if my pro-time is 48 hours?

This week has been absolutely ridiculous at work. I feel like the rest of my life is just a fog. With one therapist having just quit and another one on vacation and an extremely high census (the highest I have seen it since March), I feel like I am running around like a chicken with its head cut off. Half the time I don't even accomplish what I originally set out to do, because 10000 other things come up in the process of me going to do it. I've been arriving at work at least 30-45 minutes early every day and staying about an hour late. My back is in excruciating pain, so I'm taking Bayer back and body about every 4 hours to the point that I cut myself shaving last night and blood was gushing so fast that it looked like someone had been murdered in my bathroom. My INR is probably about 30. They were giving away free flu shots to hospital employees yesterday, but I refused to get one, because I was afraid it might make me sick and if I even think about calling in sick any day this week, I will probably get fired. No joke. It is my supervisor and I who are taking all the patient cases. Luckily, we have PTAs helping us out, but when it comes to who is in charge of the patients' care and decision-making for them, it's her and I alone. I'm trying to make a good impression and make the best of it and be a team player, but it's been tough, I'm not gonna lie. Not only do we have a high census right now, but we have a high census of patients who are pretty much dependent, meaning that it required a lot of physical work to help them move. Under normal circumstances, I would embrace that, but this week, it's just tiring. I hate to complain this much....but I am exhausted.

So it seems pretty fitting that I'm doing a half marathon this weekend. This whole week is feeling like one big marathon. Walking 13 miles will be a piece of cake compared to this work week. If I can accomplish all of this and survive this weekend, then I will actually be really proud of myself. That's not to say that I will be heartbroken if we hire another therapist and go back to a normal census level at work. It's pretty safe to say that I can't keep my sanity if it stays at this pace much longer. Wish me luck. I still have two more bottles of Bayer back and body to help me get through it.

No comments:

Post a Comment