Saturday, February 27, 2010

4 days left

One more week...I'm happy because I am sick and tired of driving so far every day. But I'm also a bit sad. I will definitely miss the people I've worked with for the past couple of months (well, most of them). They are a great group.

I survived the "out of nowhere" snow storm that we got yesterday. It went from "oh maybe 1-3" of accumulation" to me driving to work in some crazy snow drifts, getting to work and finding out that it had snowed a total of 6-8" while I was there. Needless to say, I didn't feel bad about sneaking out of the clinic early because the drive home wasn't very much fun.

However, the roads and been cleared off and the snow was melting when I was on my way to the conference/seminar this morning. That was very much appreciated, because although I know my way to Toledo Hospital, I am not a big fan of it because it is so poorly marked when you need to go to a specific building and park in a specific place. But I made it to where I needed to be and I made it there on time. As much as I did not want to spend 8 hours of my Saturday at a seminar, it was actually well worth my time. I was pretty impressed that there were so many PTs, OTs, and MDs from around the area who attended. The lectures were very informative. If I am lucky enough to get a job in an outpatient setting after graduation, I think I will attend the seminar again next year (since the topics change every year and I will actually be able to get some CEUs out of it).

But...as much as I really do like working in the outpatient orthopedic setting, I've come to the conclusion that working four 10 hour days is just not for me. I miss out on so many activities in the evenings and I hate that. I did not spend 7 years in college and grad school to not be able to go to the events that I want to go to in the evenings. Last night I missed 90% of a Relay for Life fundraiser for a friend. I really wanted to be there and be able to do more. I'm not saying that I don't want to work, I'm just saying that I've paid my dues (literally) and I do NOT want to work anything other than first shift type hours.

With that said, I am planning on relaxing for the rest of the day and maybe getting in about one hour of studying later on. Tomorrow after church, my mom and I are going to go visit the doctor that she used to work for. He is at a nursing home, but he is going to be hooding me for graduation in May (that is the plan anyway, as long as he is still able to do so), so we are going to go visit and spend the afternoon with him. I am looking forward to it. My graduation will be so special if he can be there and be the one to hood me. We have to be "hooded" by someone who has a doctorate degree since that is the degree that we are getting. It means so much more to me to have someone that I have known my whole life hooding me than to have a random faculty member that I have only known for a couple of years do it. So mark your calendars for May 8. I will probably shed some tears.

No comments:

Post a Comment