Monday, July 13, 2009

Rant

Scratch what I said earlier about the benefits of being in class! Wow, I am so furious, and I have been ever since the beginning of class today. I can't get over the lack of consideration that was given to our entire class. I never in a million years thought that we would be treated with such disrespect. Let me just prepare this entry in a list format, as that seems to convey my anger best.

1. After knowing for the past 6 months (at least) the director of our program decides to wait and tell us TODAY that all of our fall classes will be held at the Scott Park campus. Are you F-ING kidding me? What the Fk?! First of all, over half our class has made living arrangements near MCO because that is where our classes are SUPPOSED to be. Second of all, all of the first and second year students were informed of this MONTHS AGO, but we weren't informed until today. Third of all, this is the furthest UT campus from my house. My drive this fall is going to be an hour and 15 minutes ONE WAY. Fourth of all, all faculty offices are staying on our campus, yet we are still expected to meet with faculty members for various projects, so with gas at almost $3/gallon, we are expected to drive all over Toledo every day. Fifth and final of all, our director emphasized that "although people say the scott park campus is in a bad neighborhood, our campus is too, so we should not be worried. it's relatively safe." Ummm....I'm sorry but I would just like to leave this point with one fact: stabbings at our campus last year = 0, stabbings at scott park campus last year = 1.

2. Apparently we were supposed to just magically figure out what classes we are supposed to take this fall and register for them. Instead of taking 5 minutes to email us a list of our fall classes, our director comes in today and talks about all these classes we've "already registered for." That was news to me, because neither I nor the people that sat around me, had registered for any fall classes because we DIDN'T KNOW WHAT THEY WERE. So when I raised my hand to ask if a list of classes could be emailed out, our director looked at me like I was a moron and told me to just look them up in the handbook that we were given over 2 years ago before this stupid merger was even finalized. Nice. I love the consideration there. I did get registered tonight. It took me about 10 minutes, but it would have only taken 2 if someone had just taken the 5 minutes to send out an email with a list of classes to register for.

3. Our class schedule this fall is basically 2nd shift hours, meaning that we will be leaving scott park campus in the dark and I will probably get shot at or stabbed. Now I have to take the time to fill out a living will and decide what songs I want played at my funeral.

4. We just got an email today stating that not only do we have these ridiculous hours this fall, but on top of this, we are expected to go observe trauma rehab at specific times. What the fk...isn't that what CLINICALS are for? I am so sick of this B.S. observation on my own time on top of class time. And of course there is going to be a "sign up sheet" for times...which means that I will get this stupid sign up sheet LAST because it'll probably go in alphabetical order or some other B.S. way of signing up and I will get stuck with the worst possible time EVER. I hope I do get stuck with a crappy time and then it ends up that there are NO traumas then and I can report back just how pointless it was.

5. This week is considered the "designated week" to meet with our scholarly project advisors to make sure we're on track with our projects. When I emailed my advisor a few weeks ago about meeting, he said that it wasn't important to meet this week and that it was more important to just finish the project. I had a form to turn in to him this week and when I walked up to his office today, he wasn't even there. Then our director told us today that if we don't meet with our advisors this week, we have to drive back next week and meet with them then. I can tell everyone right now that that is NOT HAPPENING. I OFFERED this week and was told that it wasn't "important." If my advisor is on vacation this week, that is NOT my problem. I am not driving back on a day that I am not supposed to be there.

6. One of our faculty members resigned his position a few months ago and left all his scholarly project advisees to work on their own. Apparently some of them have been trying to email him to figure out what they are supposed to do and he just ignores their emails. And to think that there was a petition in our class last spring to nominate this guy for "outstanding faculty member." I'm so glad I didn't sign that stupid thing. This just another prime example of the lack of respect we've been given as a class lately.

7. No one bothered to send out an email notifying us that the entrance to campus from glendale road was CLOSED prior to our class this week. I had to go all the way around, out of my way, and enter from Arlington. Not that it was a huge deal, but a little heads-up would have been considerate and I would have just come to campus from Arlington in the first place.

Well, folks, I know there's more I can rant and rave about, but I think that's good for now. I will try to let the rest of my fury subside. I have decided that driving to St. Luke's every day this October/November won't be so bad after all.

No comments:

Post a Comment