Thursday, May 13, 2010

Relaxation Techniques, Deep Breathing, I'm Awesome.

I can sum up what it's like to study intensely for the NPTE in one word: OVERWHELMING. Yes, I started studying a few months ago, but I wasn't "intensely" studying, meaning I wasn't really sitting there with my books thinking "if I don't learn this now, I'm going to fail the exam." I was just reading the books and absorbing some of it and forgetting most of it. Now I really have to know my stuff...and I don't. It's scary. I feel like no matter what I try, I always end up studying the wrong things and learning details that I don't really need to know, while glossing over the information that I really need to know. There are so many charts and graphs that I know I need to memorize, but my brain keeps telling me that it's full and can't take in any new information. My hand is cramping from "jotting down notes," because my idea of "jotting down notes" is to basically re-write everything that the books say.

I made up a plan, just like they told us to during the review course. I have planned out what I need to study every day. However, by the time I get done studying the first thing on the list, half the day is already over and I feel too overwhelmed to start the next thing.

They told us to only study 3-4 hours per day, but to study for 6-8 weeks. Since I only have approximately 3 weeks, I need to study for 6-8 hours per day. This is very challenging and I feel like I am going to get burned out. I'm studying like it's my job, but I still feel like I really need 10-12 hours of studying per day to really learn the things that I need to learn. I don't like that feeling.

The course manual for the review course says that I should be doing all kinds of "relaxation techniques" to help me get through this and to tell myself that I AM going to pass and not even think about any remote possibility of failing. It's apparently 80% attitude and 20% knowledge. So from now on, I'll only be talking about how great I am and how I am for SURE going to pass this exam. I'll be doing my relaxation breathing and taking myself to a "happy place" when I need to take a break. All I can do really is tell myself that all this hard work and studying is making me a smarter physical therapist and will help me to be the absolute best I can be for my patients. When I pass the test, I can tell myself that all my hard work paid off and then I will finally relax without trying.

No comments:

Post a Comment