Tuesday, September 1, 2009

LiveStrong

Well, seeing as how I am not motivated at all to work on my scholarly project, write up a marketing summary for one of my classes, or read an article for class tomorrow, I guess I'll make an attempt to post something half-way worth reading on here.

My meeting with my scholarly project advisor went better than I expected yesterday. The only downside is that he is making me do my bibliography/references page in EndNote. So after I already typed the whole thing up (100+ references) in the correct format, I have to go download EndNote, re-find all my articles electronically because I did not save them, and figure out how to make the exact same bibliography page in EndNote, awesome. I didn't complain though, because:
  • he is letting me do a poster presentation when we present on campus in October. Poster presentations are when you just stand beside your poster and discuss what you did with anyone who comes up to talk to you. The only other option is a Platform presentation, where you stand up at the podium in front of everyone and go over a Power Point presentation of what you did, no thanks.
  • he is meeting with me on Mondays, instead of making me drive to Toledo every Friday (when I don't have to be there for anything else) and since this coming Monday is Labor day, we only have to meet 3 more times this semester.
  • he told me he could tell I'd been working hard on it (I was afraid he'd tell me that I didn't do enough work on it)
  • I do not have to present this project in Columbus, or even go there this fall, because my project didn't get accepted.
So...I didn't really complain too much about the whole EndNote deal. I'm not too thrilled about it, but oh well. It would be much worse if I had to give a platform presentation. All in all, the meeting went better than I expected it to, I got my parking pass taken care of for the next 6 weeks, and I got to eat at Chipotle. It wasn't too bad of a Monday.

Today I only have class from 4:30-6:30, meaning I should probably be getting work done beforehand, but I'm still trying to get some relaxation in after studying so hard for last weekend's exam. I went running this morning with my $3 orthotics in my shoes and surprisingly don't have knee pain! But, instead of just going out and running a long distance without stopping, today I ran interval sprints, meaning that I would sprint a certain distance and then take a break and walk and repeated that for about 2 miles. I have a feeling that the $3 orthotics have nothing to do with the fact that my knees don't hurt and more to do with the fact that sprinting requires you to land on the balls of your feet, rather than your whole foot, so it doesn't matter that I can't evert. Thus, no knee pain.

However, I have been trying to sell my elliptical for a while now because that does cause me to have knee pain. I know, it sounds really stupid because you technically don't "land" on your feet when using an elliptical (in PT, we would call that a closed-chain exercise), but since I am constantly pushing the pedals down with the lateral part of my feet, it kills my knees. So if anyone wants to buy an elliptical, I have one for sale. And it needs to go soon because my new exercise bike is coming today! I probably shouldn't have spent the money on it, but I need some way to exercise in the winter and some way to get a cardio workout without hurting my knees. The elliptical is out. Running on a treadmill is out. Biking is pretty much it. I can't wait to get started. Plus, it's a lot easier to study while biking, because you're not bouncing around like on an elliptical or treadmill. Not that I think I will actually have the motivation to study while exercising, but it is another potential advantage.

The only other news is that I am super excited for this weekend! I can't wait to meet my nephew!

No comments:

Post a Comment