Friday, March 12, 2010

Kindness and Simplicity

Spring break is almost over :( It makes me sad. I feel like the week just flew right by. Go figure. One the plus side, my resume is done (officially this time) and I have a cover letter ready to go out to one of the place I am applying to. The first cover letter is the most difficult to write. I am sending it out today! Now I have to keep track of all the places I am applying and remember to make follow-up phone calls to them.

This week has also got me thinking about things other than school. I always talk about wanting to improve myself, but I mean it every time and I do try, even if I don't always accomplish it. My current efforts are going to be in an attempt to be nicer to everyone, and I do mean everyone, not just the people I am already nice to. I have decided to be more sociable and nice and polite to everyone, even those who have wronged me in the past or do not currently like me (I know it's hard to believe that there are people like that out there, but there are). As a professional, I really can't afford to have people out there who think I am rude or stuck-up. Therefore, I have decided to make the change and be more outgoing and friendly to everyone. I'll keep you updated on how it goes, because this is not going to be very easy.

Another change I am making is to embrace simplicity. It probably sounds pretty ridiculous, but I've downgraded a lot of the extravagant things that I thought I needed. I downgraded my cell phone plan that I had with Verizon (and being nice to the people at the store helped me convince them to give me the full price of my phone when I returned it). I now have a very basic, pay as you go, doesn't do much extra cell phone and plan. It's good enough for me and I'm saving $65 per month and still have unlimited text and calling. I've decided that all of the things I want, I have to work hard for and not just throw them on the credit card in order to have them. Of course there are things I dream about having: a house in the country with a front porch, finished basement, and 2 car garage, a brand new Ford Fusion hybrid, a couch that has reclining seats, etc. All these things are just wants and I'm not going to have them until I can afford them, and if I never can afford them, then so be it. Life isn't all about the things you have. Sometimes people respect you more when you have the self-control to live within your means. Remind me of this when I get my first paycheck as a licensed PT.

No comments:

Post a Comment