Tuesday, March 9, 2010

Money saving tips

Ok I am ready for spring break to start being awesome. So far, it has been nothing but stressful. Thanks to Verizon Wireless, I am now out $330 to have decent cell phone service at home. Could I have suffered through another few months with no service? Sure. But do I want to have no cell phone service when I am putting my cell phone number on my resumes? No. So in order to be able to answer any potential calls from potential employers, I am currently spending $330. Boo that. I am also still in the process of perfecting the most amazing resume and cover letters ever written, because being the perfectionist that I am, I refuse to send out anything less than the best. So let's all keep our fingers crossed that this pays off in the end and I can convince anywhere within a 30 mile radius to create a job for a physical therapist, even if they weren't planning on hiring one. This is absolutely vital because I am a) poor and need the money to continue to LIVE and b) unwilling to relocate unless absolutely necessary.

With that being said, any money saving tips would be very much appreciated. Here are few of the ones I have come up with so far...
  • Drop Verizon wireless because they are outrageously expensive and Straight Talk provides 10x better service for half the price - DONE.
  • Stop buying groceries at Walmart. This would save the normal individual money, but it does not save me money at all, because I always end up spending over $100 in Walmart, even if I go in there to buy one $15 item. I will spend $100+ every single time I step foot in Walmart. Therefore, my new goal is to never ever ever step foot in Walmart again....or until I need to purchase an item that can not be purchased anywhere else in town. This will only be an issue until we get our Dollar General. Then, I am never leaving Fayette to shop for anything other than clothes.
  • Recycle, Recycle, Recycle. I am not a big fan of saving stuff for recycling, because it is a huge pain in the butt that we do not have curb-side recycling here in Fayette....However, if I would just recycle my plastic bottles and cardboard, I guarantee I would save a bunch of money on garbage tags. I already recycle my pop cans. It wouldn't take that much more effort to set aside other containers for plastic and cardboard. And since I have a garbage disposal, there is really no reason for me to even throw anything away at all. Who knew saving the environment could actually save money...
  • Stop going out on weekends. I've pretty much given up on going out to the bars on the weekends, because it is a) 99% of the time boring and b) a waste of money...well I have decided that going out is too expensive. I went out last Friday night to celebrate the end of my clinical and ended up spending $40. That is ridiculous. Maybe it's because I haven't gone out in a long time anyway, but $40 in one night is outrageous. I have decided that there has got to be much cheaper ways to go out and have a good time and I refuse to spend $40/night going out to bars in Fayette anymore.
  • Bust some butt. Hard work has to pay off at some point. My goal is to work as hard as I can to find a job close to home so that I can start making money as soon as possible without having to drive very far. I need to get these student loans paid off ASAP. That means, I need to study for boards pretty much non-stop, get that resume perfected, and do whatever I can to kick some butt on interviews and get a job lined up. I'm willing to give up spring break to do that. I'm willing to give up my nights and weekends for the next 8 weeks to make sure that happens as well. Wish me luck.

No comments:

Post a Comment