Saturday, March 13, 2010

So long spring break and laziness...

Well it's about that time to re-join the real world, and wouldn't you know that tonight is when we "spring forward" to change our clocks. As much as I do not want to miss an hour of sleep this weekend, I can't help but be excited about the fact that, not only will I be home around 5pm every day, but it will be light outside for another 2-3 hours after that.

I am going to need those hours of daylight to study for boards (which I suppose from now on, I should call the NPTE, since that's the actual name of the test). I have been pretty dedicated to studying this week, but I have only made it through the first chapter so far. Granted, the first chapter is the longest, but still...I wanted to be so much further along at this point in time. I know I have a couple of months yet, but it still makes me nervous.

What makes me even more nervous is that I applied for 2 of my dream jobs this week. I'm not even going to give details, because I don't want to "jinx" myself in any way. Let's just say that I have been praying pretty much non-stop that I will get one of them because I just so happened to come across a little advertisement online (through a staffing company) that this location might be hiring. I'm trying not to get overly excited about it by any means, because a) that advertisement could be wrong since it wasn't with the actual company itself and b) there is another girl in my class who would for sure get that position over me if she applies for it because she already works for a company that is affiliated with this one. So don't get too excited, but when I saw that little ad, my heart skipped a tiny beat. So I called over to the company and asked to speak with the lady that's in charge (because I have a slight "in" through someone else I know) and she wasn't there, but I explained that I was inquiring about the possibility of emailing my resume and cover letter to her and the receptionist lady put me on hold to "do some checking" and came back on the phone and told me to "go ahead and email it to her." This may mean nothing at all, but at least she didn't come back on the line and say, "why bother? we're not hiring." or "that position has been filled so forget about it." So let's all keep our fingers and toes crossed that maybe (just maybe) I will hear from them.

The other place I applied is not hiring at this time, or at least I'm pretty sure they're not. It was a shot in the dark, but I sent my resume and cover letter though the regular mail to the office manager over there and we'll see what happens, if anything. I'm not expecting to hear anything from them, but you can bet that if I do, I will be jumping up and down and screaming (literally) for joy, even just to get an interview would be amazing. But...like I said, I doubt anything will happen there.

I have applied for a couple of other jobs, but haven't heard back from them. Well, one place called back while I was in the shower yesterday, but they didn't leave a message, so who knows...I suppose you can't win 'em all. Or maybe I should stop expecting places to call me back within 24 hours.

So with all the applying for jobs and praying for interviews, I've gotten more motivated to study. I'm obviously not going to be able to work anywhere until I pass that NPTE, so I better stop being a slacker and put some serious effort in. I've talked a big game for a while now, but it's seriously time to study my little heart out and sacrifice some sleep to take care of business. But..let's not forget that I have another clinical to focus on as well. I am actually looking forward to this one. I am so excited to have a clinical close to home and with reasonable hours. I think I am really going to like it, but I don't want to speak too soon. I just have a really good feeling about it.

No comments:

Post a Comment